In every group of friends, there’s usually the life-saver; the one who, on an evening out, offers solutions to any issues that may arise – if someone needs a comb, they will have it, if someone needs vase line, they will have it, if someone needs a… You get the picture?
The Bride, in her wedding day, also needs someone like that; a person to ensure that any challenges that may arise are resolved as quickly as possible, allowing for as little disturbance on the Bride as possible!
And usually, that person is the Lady-in-Waiting.
She is the person who is close to the bride and is there to make sure that the wedding day is as smooth as can be for the bride.
She should be someone with a naturally well organized personality, and is part of the bridal party.
Among other things the Lady in Waiting will execute the following duties;
1. She will ensure that there’s no stress on the Bride.
2. Follow up with the makeup artist that they arrive on time.
3. Help the bride to get to her attire.
4. Be a time keeper and in control of things.
5. Make sure the bride has eaten and is in good shape.
6. Be responsible and keep track of all brides belongings (bouquet, veil, cloths, room keys).
8. Be responsible for looking after the page boy and the flower girl.
8. Have first aid equipment, needle, scissors, thread and hair pins available incase of any emergency.
9. A bridge between the bride and anyone else around.
10. Help the bride with other her personal details, like going to the toilet while in the wedding dress, and being in charge of the brides phone.
11. Should offer leadership and solutions!
Whether your lady in waiting is married or not has nothing to do with the task, as long she is able to do the basics as stated above and more, then that person is as good a prospective Lady in Waiting as any!
What other qualities do you look out for in a Prospective Lady in Waiting!?
And what great things have you seen a Lady in Waiting do on or around the wedding day!?
Ulemu Nkhoma of UN-Photography